Friday, September 19, 2008

Homemade Gifts


First off..........I am sooooo happy to be back. Blogger was having MAJOR technological issues today and I was going through withdrawals!!!!!! Okay, that being said, let's get back to business. If you have smaller children, you can really get away with homemade gifts and hit a homerun with grandparents, aunts, etc. For last Father's Day, I decided to have my kids make something for their Dad and we chose a clay project. I let Jake make whatever he wanted ( a bowl) and I had Jaise, who was 2, make a small dish with her handprint. I started by making an oval shape and then made a small lip around the outside. I knew it would fit perfectly in his drawer to collect all of his change, watch, etc. After it dried we painted it yellow with her handprint being painted blue, since Daddy is a huge University of Michigan fan. I then put her name and age on the back. It was absolutely perfect. Not only does Daddy have a great gift but I have the memories of making it with my kids. Here is the recipe we used:

4 cups white flour

1 cup salt

1 1/2 cups water

Paste food coloring (optional)


Mix flour and salt in bowl until well blended and smooth. Add 1/2 cup of water and continue to mix for a few minutes. Add remaining water while turning the dough in the bowl. Knead dough for about five minutes. Knead in food coloring if desired. Shape dough, as desired, and place on a foil-covered cookie sheet. Bake in a 250-300 degree oven (about five minutes for 1"-2" pieces).

When baked piece is cool, paint with acrylics as desired. Brush or spray on a finishing coat of polyurethane to seal and protect piece.

No comments:

Great Gift Idea

Below are a few examples of photos that I have taken over the years. I can take any photo you have and turn it to black and white and leave a certain item in color. Contact me for pricing information if you are interested. If you live close enough, I can do a photo shoot for you with all of your photos on a cd for YOU to develop!!!

Holiday Gifts